Our Family

Our Family

Monday, August 11, 2008

Emily's Heart

When we went to the doctor on the 4th, she had detected a bit of a murmer when she was listening to Emily's heart. She said she didn't think that it was going to be anything major but that we should go to a Cardiologist just to be sure. I had an appointment scheduled for the 20th but they called this morning at 9:00 and said they had a cancellation and if we could be there at 11:00 we could have that appt. I rushed to get ready, messed up their naps but made it at 11:10 (we had a blowout as we were walking out the door or we may have been on time). I hadn't planned on taking Anthony with me but since it was short notice he ended up going as well. Anyways, getting back to Emily...they did an ultrasound of her heart and she was such a good girl while they were doing it! She was trying to "help" the tech who was doing the ultrasound but was being pretty still while on the table. Anthony on the other hand, oy vey! He was crying and carrying on until I put his carseat on the table with Emily, I think he was worried about what they were doing to her, or just mad that he wasn't part of the fun. After the ultrasound, they took us to an exam room where we waited for the doctor and when she came in, of course she fell in love with the babies! She listened to Emily's heart and told me that we have a great doctor because you could barely hear the murmer. Emily has a VSD (here is a link: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/ventricular-septal-defect) which is basically a small hole in the heart. Emily's hole is probably no bigger than the tip of a pencil and the doctor said that it should not limit her in any way and that it may even heal itself. She will be able to live an active, normal life with no limitations. We have to go back in 2 years to have it checked and in the meantime our pediatrician can sort of keep an eye (or ear) on it. I know that I hadn't mentioned anything earlier about this but I didn't want to say anything until we knew more. Hope everyone is well!

2 comments:

Riddlez said...

Well that was probably a little scary. I'm so glad Emily is all right.

Linda Gibbs said...

Hey! Guess who found me?? Josh and DJ!! They have a boy with heart problems. I think it's Nick, their second son. I have their link on my blog. That is scary, about Emmy. I'm glad they caught it and Boise has great Dr.'s. Chin up, Chickie!