Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Another Angel

So I've decided that we need to be thrown curve balls in life when we decide that we are just getting comfortable. Last weekend didn't go exactly as planned. My parents were coming out on Friday and we were going to go shopping and hang out. I got a phone call on thursday night that my grandpa had passed away. He was an incredible man and influence in my life as well as so many others, his funeral on Tuesday was packed! I am so lucky that I was able to grow up next door to my grandparents. My grandpa was such an integral part of my life, he taught me to ride a bike, a horse, to drive. I was able to spend a lot of time with him and do so much with him, even when it was as simple as riding on the tractor while he plowed or holding the needle while giving shots to calves. I thought that I would have such a hard time accepting that he was gone, when my mom told me I bawled but then went into sort of that surreal state, you know, when things don't seem real. I thought that when I got to my grandparents house, which is where we stay when we go to Rexburg, it would be more real because he wasn't there but it still wasn't real. Then I thought that when we had the funeral, that would make it real but it still isn't. I guess knowing that he had been in so much pain and then seeing him look so much at peace has helped me accept it. I know that he can be with my brother, Travis, again always looking out for us, another guardian angel to watch over my babies. I feel bad for Anthony & Emily that they will never remember him, but am glad that when we have gone to Rexburg he was able to spend time with them and that they made him so proud. Ironically, it was 5 years ago on Monday that my younger brother, Travis, passed away. That day just happened to be Memorial Day and just happened to be my father's birthday...yeah, happy birthday dad:(. This year it was the same deal which is why my parents were coming out to see us. That and the fact that for the past couple of years my parents have ended up visiting us on my dad's birthday. I can hardly believe it has already been that long, I think we are taking life for granted again so we needed a reminder that we really need to live each day to the fullest and appreciate all that we have. It has also helped remind me that things really do happen for a reason, I can't imagine living all the way over in New Mexico and having this happen, I am so glad we are closer and that we were able to go and be with family when we needed to.

Weldon J Nef-I love you Gramps for ever and always. Thanks for everything.

2 comments:

Linda Gibbs said...

That was such a sweet tribute to your grandpa.It's not every grandpa that takes the time to have INDIVIDUAL time with each grandchild. You all had something so special to say about him, and had special memories. Your babies are blessed just to be of his lineage. I am honored that I was there and I was able to help with the babies.

Kate said...

I'm so sorry Shannon. I'm so glad that you have such fond memories of your Grandfather and that he enriched your life that much. Grief over a loved ones death is bittersweet. Bitter because they're no longer on earth, but sweet because you cared so much for that person that it causes you intense heartache to say goodbye. I've known so many people lately that have attended close-proximity family members' funerals out of courtesy but really don't feel much over their passing because they either really disliked the relative or were just apathetic. I think that is so sad. The scriptures tell us that it is good and RIGHT to mourn when someone dies. Take care Shannon and kiss that neice and nephew for me.