Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Could I do it?


As I have been hearing stories on the news about the Aurora, Colorado tragedy I have been struck deeply by the courage and unselfish love of so many of these wonderful people. I first heard about what happened as I was grabbing a quick lunch at McDonalds with the kidlets as we were driving to Rexburg. They had CNN playing and I couldn't believe what I was watching. Luckily I also had my friend Linda's girls and niece with me to take care of the kidlets since I was totally glued to the tv. I have tried to follow the story without watching too much of the news since then and have been awed by the stories I have heard. So many people courageously tried to sacrifice themselves so that their loved ones would remain safe. I've read stories of men jumping in front of significant others so that the bullets wouldn't touch them, and friends carrying other friends who were injured out of the theatre to safety. I have been wondering...how would I have reacted had I been there? Would I have been willing to physically throw myself in front of my loved one? Would I have been able to carry them to safety? I like to think I would have, I like to think I have that much love in my heart that I would give my all for those I love. I really hope I never find out but in my head I have vowed that I would, I only hope that should the occasion arise, I can act as these brave heroes have.

No comments: