Our Family

Our Family

Friday, February 20, 2009

What the Mess?!

When you buy a brand, new, never been lived in house, you have certain expectations; like that the main sewer line will not be plugged and back up into your house! We had a horrible experience with our house that luckily had a good ending. On the tuesday that my parents left and Ben flew out for Texas, the downstairs toilet backed up. Luckily I had just put the kids to bed and we have a wet/dry vac so I was able to clean it up pretty quickly. I put the plunger to the toilet and got nothing but figured hey, I'm probably okay...famous last words! Two day later as I'm trying to feed two crying babies their dinner, it happened again. I gave the kids a couple of crackers and did what I could to at least stem the tide until I could really dig into it. I got that mess cleaned up but boy did it stink! So we called on the home warranty, they set it up to send someone out but before that happened it did it again so we called the emergency plumber and he said, Sorry can't help you, got to get Roto Rooter out. We did that, thought the problem was taken care of when it happened again! The building super. for our subdivision came overand said they would take care of everything and here is what happened:



They dug up the driveway to get to the main sewer pipe and ended up having to put a camera down it where they determined that somehow some cement had gotten down there and sealed it off so it had nowhere to go but back into the house. What the mess...anyways, the problem is now fixed at no expense to us (except mental stress and backed up laundry and dishes). We know that it was just a weird freak of nature but what a frustration, we are hoping it will be smooth sailing from here!

3 comments:

Riddlez said...

Ok, first of all who puts the main sewer line under the driveway!?! I'm glad they took care of it, but what a major pain. Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out.

J and D said...

ICK! That stinks! I''m glad it's taken care of now! What an annoyance!

mandbrid said...

WOW - I'm glad you survived and that someone else had to pay for the fix. That must have been so stressful!