Our Family

Our Family

Monday, February 20, 2012

Make A Change

Man In The Mirror-
Gotta make a change
For once in my life
It's gonna feel real good
Gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right
I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change, yey
-Michael Jackson

So I'm not a huge Michael Jackson fan but this song strikes me and has become my anthem for the year. For a lot of my life I have put my needs aside and taken care of others and I think it has finally caught up with me. I'm going to confess something ...I suffer from major depression. For some, that may not be a big suprise but I think that I've hidden it from a lot of people. Lately I've come to the realization that I could not allow the depression to continue as it was. I had become completely apathetic in life, I didn't care if my house was a mess or the dishes were done, I struggled with getting up in the morning, and didn't even want to play with my kids. I felt horrible about my weight and Ben encouraged me to start going to the gym which I did and have even started to enjoy going. Ben and I joined a contest at the gym and in 5 weeks I've lost 16 1/2 lbs. I went to the doctor and was put on an anti-depressant which has helped. He also put me on a medicine to help with my headaches which has been heaven! Instead of the 10+ a month I had been having I've had 2 since being put on the meds 2 months ago. I have been feeling better and hope to continue to improve so that I can do what is best for my sweet kids. I have a long ways to go but am pleased to be taking steps to do what is necessaryto become who I need to be.

4 comments:

Riddlez said...

So brave of you to write about depression. I'm sure you know how many of us have battled with it at some point in our lives.

Great job at the weight loss! I'm sure you feel better just getting out and moving a little. Not to mention, your pants fit better.

mandbrid said...

I've suffered from depression too - I'm glad that you are getting the support you need.
Congrats on your success at the gym!

Cathy said...

Good for you baby girl. I am proud of you and hope you can continue getting better and better. It seems admitting the problem is a good place to start. Know your Mom supports you all the way and will do anything I can to help. LOVE YOU!!!!

Kelsey said...

Way to go Shannon! I'm impressed that you've lost 16 pounds! It really is amazing how many people deal with depression and/or anxiety. I have dealt with some similar struggles off and on for the past several years. Let me know when you are heading to the gym! I'd love to tag along (do you go to Idaho Athletic Club?) or even go for a walk in the neighborhood!